MilliporeSigma's Advance Biotech Grant Program
MilliporeSigma is now accepting applications for the 2020 Advance Biotech Grant Program open to US and Canadian biotechnology companies.
Apply before July 1, 2020 to be eligible for the Grand Prize of bioprocessing technologies and consultation, actives and formulation products, and Emprove® Suite access.
The Winner will receive $250,000 USD to be used for the purchase of the following:
- $160,000 in Bioprocessing Technologies
- $36,800 in Bioprocessing Technologies consultation in upstream and downstream processes, media optimization, Spent Media Analysis offerings, visit to M Lab™ Collaboration Center located in Burlington, MA with dedicated support onsite. Choose one free classroom-based application training course.
- $40,000 in the Actives and Formulation catalogue portfolio for biomolecule formulation, e.g. stabilizers, buffers, biodegradable polymers, lipids, etc. Training on the Emprove® program and its advantages for the preparation of the registration process is included.
- $13,200 in a full subscription to the Emprove® Suite. Access for a one-year period.
Pfizer Breakthrough Growth Initiative
Pfizer has established the Pfizer Breakthrough Growth Initiative, which will invest up to $500 million across a portfolio of clinical-stage biotechnology companies.
It is designed to help biotechnology companies by providing access to the funding and scientific expertise needed to ensure continuity of their most promising clinical development programs.
The PBGI will focus on making non-controlling equity investments in clinical-stage public companies, with a primary focus on companies with small- to medium-sized market capitalizations across a range of therapeutic categories that are consistent with Pfizer’s core areas of focus.
Biotech companies interested in learning more can contact PBGI@pfizer.com
PV is the company’s venture capital arm that was founded in 2004, focuses primarily on early stage private companies. It has made more than 85 investments since its inception, and currently has more than $1 billion in assets under management. For more information, visit www.pfizerventures.com.
Overview of Operations
With a $600M capital commitment from Pfizer for private investments in 2018, PV invests in private companies at all stages of development, with a strong focus on early stage opportunities. Other investments, including start-ups and spinouts, will also be considered. We actively work with our current portfolio companies throughout their growth cycles, contributing strategic guidance in addition to our capital and providing access to internal Pfizer expertise, whenever appropriate. While primarily U.S. focused, international investments may represent up to 20% of the portfolio. We have the ability to lead or join a syndicate of investors and will seek board representation commensurate with our investment.
- Primarily focused on potentially transformative therapeutics, with an emphasis on Pfizer's core therapeutic areas: Inflammation & Immunology, Internal Medicine, Oncology, Rare Disease and Vaccines.
- Focus also includes neuroscience investments, following Pfizer's decision to continue advancing research in this critical area of unmet medical need through a venture capital strategy.
- Will also consider platform technologies, diagnostics, drug delivery, pharmaceutical services and other technologies that have the potential to transform drug discovery and development.
- Active investor, working with management to develop product strategy and build shareholder value.
- Bring Pfizer pedigree and perspective to our portfolio companies, with the potential to utilize the network and expertise of Pfizer.
- Streamlined approval process for investment decisions.
- Potential for Pfizer business development relationship whenever appropriate.
Key differences between Pfizer's Programs:
- The PBGI will focus on small- to mid-cap public biotech companies with clinical-stage assets. Later-stage private companies may also be considered.
- The magnitude of investment is different – PV typically makes rounds of investment in the $5-15 million range, and rarely reach more than $20 million over the life of our investment.
- PV operates on the venture capital model of investing in multiple rounds of financing to advance products and advance the private company to an IPO or M&A. We anticipate that the majority of PBGI’s investments will be one-time investments.
- The companies in which PBGI will invest will be developing specific clinical-stage assets identified to be of interest to our core therapeutic areas. PV’s investments are much earlier, usually before assets are at a stage to be of specific interest to PFE.
- Rights or licensing options may be associated with PBGI investments, whereas that is rarely the case with PV investments.